Tuesday 15 June 2010

A day in Padstow, Cornwall

A trip to Padstow for me today. Got on the bus with a dozen people, all of whom i know, and so we rattled along the narrow coastal lanes. Rattled? ….Yes, indeed. Ever tried public transport in Cornwall?…ouch my back….


Padstow is the quintessential picture post card Cornwall. Narrow winding streets. Quaint cottages and shops on each side bedecked with colourful hanging baskets. The shops are a delight. Pouring with gifts and all sorts of trinkets and memorabilia that you can find only here in Cornwall.


For a fishing resort on the rugged north coast of Cornwall, it is unusual. It is more like the fishing villages on the more gentle south coast.


Today the sun was shining. It was bright and it was windy, taking some of the heat from the sun. The harbour was full of boats of every shape and size and colour. Tourists flocked and sat everywhere.


Finding a restaurant with an empty table big enough to seat eight of us (the group had split up), was a problem, but eventually we ate outside at the Old Ship Inn. Charming. I had fish and chips, well I was a tourist! Seagulls glided overhead and eyed my plate with what seemed to be a combination of determination and sheer malice. Okay, I like seagulls but I was not about to give up my lunch to them. I was hungry. I'd travelled all the way from Newquay…..


After the meal, a leisurely browse around the fascinating shops. And finally a spot of sunbathing, all the while being serenaded by a street busker playing a guitar - and very nicely too.


Back on the old bone rattler and forty minutes later we were back in Newquay. A tad windswept but happy and ready for a nice cup of coffee.


1 comment:

  1. Seagulls are rather aggressive. But they have so much character.

    ReplyDelete