Thursday 19 August 2010

More air helicopter rescues as tourist season gets into full swing.

Another summer in Newquay and the rescue helicopter has been out numerous times rescuing people who have managed to get themselves into the strangest of places. Halfway down cliffs. Up huge rocks. Cut off by the tide, often when exploring the caves up and down the coast.

Just a couple of days ago, Tuesday 17th August, someone was air-lifted off a huge rock from Great Western Beach as I watched, and filmed it, through my window. Possibly someone had climbed up there and thought that it was be easy to get themselves down again, but it's not that simple once you're up there. Maybe the person had slipped and injured themselves. I don't really know, but the air ambulance is such a familiar sight and sound above my dwelling place here on the high cliffs, that I almost miss it when it's not around so much during the winter months.

Happily, I don't think there have been any serious injuries or even deaths as there was last year. But it is a very dangerous, albeit lovely, coastline and the high cliffs are tempting to young people. I know, I've climbed them myself, long time ago. But there were no Air ambulances back then. You really had to get yourself down or you just didn't go there up in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment